Thursday 18 October 2007

The Lesson Continues (sPazAmp #2)

The sPazAmp/Tune exploded happily, healthily and disgustingly into life, so I thought I'd let it do the same here. Of a similar vintage to the last one (don't worry, I'm not going to trawl through every single one I've done. Or am I?), all in the interests of breaking you in gently. Hurr.



Right, having made myself a giant curry (I didn't use real giants, obviously. Too expensive) and, more importantly, eaten the first instalment of it (economy of scale), I feel reinvigorated enough to subject myself to the random experience once more.

Besides, I feel there is a real shortage of utter tripe/underappreciated majesty around (delete as you see fit - I know where my money is going, it played three Tom Jones at me last time).

1. Roxy Music - End of the Line
It's done it again! THIS IS CLEARLY A FINISH-ON SONG, iTunes! Bloody technoretard *is soothed by the wonderful music* well, I don't suppose it can be easy for it, being subjected to all my songs at once. Poor thing. Honestly though, there aren't many bands I end up still being bowled over by this far into their career. Did I ever mention that I utterly adore Roxy Music? I don't think I did, you know...

It's made me a touch mournful. Which means it will probably be Anthrax & Public Enemy next, on previous matching-of-songs-form.

2. Wipers - Tragedy
Not a million miles away, although perhaps iTunes is going for a cunning title-based theming mix. End of the Line, Tragedy. Clever. And no, it isn't a Bee Gees cover, sadly (although it is bloody good).

3. Deep Purple - The Bird Has Flown
Not the greatest in the Purps oeuvre. It's pre-Gillan, and both pre and post-gillan Purps is best avoided. Like a really nasty plague. Still just about hanging in there with the title theming, I suppose. Good iTunes, nice iTunes.

4. The Who - Disguises
Blown the theme, silly technotard software. A good song, but only one measly song out on the list from choosing one of the many songs that often makes me exclaim it to be my all-time favourite (yes, I do that too), namely Doctor Doctor. So near, and yet so far. I Need You would have been better too (the drumming on that is immense. Or perhaps just really loud. Either way it is wonderful).

5. Brian Eno - Golden Hours
I almost fell asleep waiting for it to start. Utterly splendid, of course, but a bit overly soothing given the previous three efforts. From my only slightly second favourite Eno album, for anyone out there who fancies making a chart of my favourite Eno albums.

6. Parliament - Flash Light

iTunes steps off into the funk, big time. Was NOT expecting that (what sane person would seamlessly segue from the pleasantly soporific Golden Hours into the mighty Parliament?). Now that I've recovered from the rude shock of being awakened, I'm having a whale of a time. There isn't enough Parliament in the world. There are possibly too many parliaments, but not enough Parliament.

7. Offspring - Come Out & Play

Bugger off, I like it. Stop looking at me like that. STOP IT.

8. The Fluid - Is is Day I'm Seeing
Not the best Fluid song and not the best on this album (Sub Pop 200). It's alright, I suppose.

9. Big Daddy Kane - On The Move
Neither this nor anything else on this album (It's a Big Daddy Thing) is a patch on the previous one (Long Live The Kane), but he still has it. Sort of. It might be trying to escape, though.

10. Roxy Music - Serenade
Good to see them being properly represented at last. Surely I don't need to comment on the sheer awesomeitude of this one, do I? Surely you all know and revere it with due attention? I'll just assume you do.

11. JAMC - Take It
Seeing as I only own the album for Head On, it never really stood a chance. And, true enough, it is spectacularly average.

12. Terrorvision - Discotheque Wreck
This is more like it (I thought I told you to stop looking at me like that?). Come back, Terrorvision. Please.

13. Dexy's Midnight Runners - Keep It
I think iTunes is a fan, keeps slipping a Dexy's tune in there (and another stonker at that, too).

14. Outkast - Intro
Put stuff like this at the START, iTunes. Christ, how many times. It's the one off Speakerboxxx, if you care (the one that widdles all over the other one).

15. Unsane - This Town
Not entirely prime Unsane, but still mighty good, and completely brutal. Never mind the neighbours, I think I may be threatening the foundations of the house listening to this.

16. The Mummies - That's Mighty Childish
Budget Rock-a-rama. What can I say, it's brilliant. If you appreciate them (and my how I appreciate them), it's as good as all the others, if you hate them, it sounds just like all the others.

17. Blood Sweat & Tears - Lucretia MacEvil
Splendid. I hesitate to put it entirely in the funk section of my mind (who wouldn't), but it IS funky and gloriously cheesy. Lucretia MacEeeeeevvvIIIIIIIILLLLLllll...

18. The Sonics - The Witch
Wonderful! Drum like you've never seen a drumkit before and try and compensate for the lack of skill with undoubted vigour. I love The Sonics. Not in that way.

19. The Escalators - Eskimo Rock
Two of them used to be in the Tall Boys, and also The Meteors. It's good, but not as good as Tall Boys (or even their own cover of The Munster's Theme), but you shouldn't need telling that it is still greater than the majority of things in the big wide filthy musical world.

20. Lard - Can God Fill Teeth?
No. No he can't.




Had enough yet? I'm going to pretend you all said no, of course not, and continue regardless.

No comments: