Thursday 18 October 2007

sPazAmp history lesson #1...

Way back in the mists of time (well, just over two years ago), the sPazAmp was born. It was dubbed the sPazTune, as back then I was still infected with the idea that having a horribly restrictive bloatware of a music player was a good idea. And lo, it went thusly...



I'm a bit concerned at the outcome of this, given the huge collection of tripe I term a music collection, but here goes...

1. Mudhoney - Check Out Time
Proof that iTunes is stupid. Should plainly have been the last song, not the first. Stupid technology. Still, good enough to make it look like I've fixed it.

2. NWA - Something 2 Dance 2
iTunes seems to be obsessed with choosing final tracks. Either that or it feels that Arabian Prince was abjectly underused on the second album and that Dre's early cheesy electro past was equally under represented. I didn't voluntarily listen to it in 1989 or whenever, and I wouldn't have done so now.

3. Pierre Henry - Psyche Rock (Fatboy Slim Mix)

Ooh, haven't listened to this in ages. I'd have preferred the original, but who am I to argue. Oh, that's right, I'm me and these are my songs.

4. FakeID - System Error in the Msg Centre
It's off the Parkspliced album, and is either such a complete demolition of the original or a version of one of the songs I don't really know (not a huge Blur fan to be honest. Not even a small Blur fan. They're shit) that I haven't the faintest idea what it was originally. It's either dreadful or quite good, I'm can't really make out.

5. Sam Cooke - (What a) Wonderful World
In your FACE Otis.

6. Jethro Tull - Fire at Midnight

This is getting just a touch surreal now. I tend to divide my listening up according to my mood, and having them all thrown at my head in one go is well weird.

7. Tom Jones - She's a Lady
There's someone being shown round the house. They'll never take the room if they hear this. Help me build a mountain from a little pot of claaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Great song.

8. Tom Jones - (I Ain't No) One Night Only Love Maker
iTunes is cheating, putting two Tom Jones songs on in a row, so I'm going to do 21 songs now. If it goes for a third, the urge to undo an extra button on the shirt might become unbearable.

9. Slick Rick - Teenage Love

Of ALL the Slick Rick songs. Let's just pretend it chose A Children's Story and move right along. If it chooses I Need Love by LL Cool J next, I'm going to open the computer to see just what demented being is working this.

10. The Fire Dept. - Leavin' Here
Ah, this is more like it. Nice bit of Medway Garage. Not as much fun in another way though, I listened to this just the other day.

11. Squeeze - If It's Love
There is a bloody good reason I don't listen past Is That Love on the best of. Although that said, this isn't a low quality as most of the later stuff. I'm still skipping ahead as soon as I've finished typing this, though.

12. Tom Jones - Just Out Of Reach (Of My Two Empty Arms)
Oh for God's sake. It's obsessed. It's making my love of The Jones look ridiculous, when in reality he accounts for less than 0.5% of the songs on there. Honest.

13. Devo - Shrivel Up
Listening to this straight after the last one has melted a part of my brain. I hope it wasn't needed for anything important.

14. Deep Purple - Highway Star

Bah, I want to listen to all of Machine Head now.

15. Jethro Tull - Hymn 43

Ooh, they went together well. Plus, a bloody fantastic song.

16. Roxy Music - A Song for Europe

About bloody time. Although it's the live from Frejus one. Still sodding magnificent though.

17. Pixies - Trompe Le Monde
If I wasn't already doing 22 songs to make up for the triumvirate of Tom Jones songs, I'd add another on account of the brevity of this one. Pleasant, in an underwhelming way.

18. The Mummies - Your Love
No comment necessary, such is the Budget Rock splendour.

19. Dexy's Midnight Runners - Geno
Likewise, only without the Budget Rock. Very confusing song to listen to on headphones whilst walking, though. I find myself speeding up and slowing down as the music dictates. Most disconcerting for the people you overtake and are overtaken by repeatedly.

20. Method Man - Intro (Feat. RZA)
Thoroughly undescriptive title. It's off of Tical 0: The Prequel.

21. GLC - Roller Disco
The superior Party Album version (as opposed to the one on Greatest Hits, I know you are all secretly interested).

22. Bruce Springsteen - Back Streets
A fine closing choice.

That was scary and fun. I shall do it again later, when I recover (and when I've listened to all the things it has made me want to listen to).




First go, and I broke my own rules. It's alright though, because they're my rules, sucker and besides, I didn't invent them until some time later. If you enjoyed that, good, there's plenty more to come. If you didn't, then what the hell are you doing still reading this? Bugger off to Mutant Rock and grab yourself some prime trash instead.

No comments: